Monday, June 13, 2011

Getting things done in bite size chunks!

Man I don't know about you but I am running at full speed right now with 4 kiddos and lots of summer fun to be had, kids classes, the park etc... Sometimes it seems like I will never get it all done.  By "it" I mean laundry, dishes, yard work, organizing, house rehab projects, menu planning, freezer cooking, and tackling that garage full of stuff that has been there since we moved in Oct!  It is easier to head to the park and leave it all behind.  the only problem is that when we get back it is still there waiting for me.  No the organization fairy that I dream of has still not shown her lovely face, and although I have managed to barely stay on top of the laundry and dishes the projects are all still waiting.  The thing is that I actually WANT to get these things done, but it just seems hard to find the time.
Cruz's birthday party (one more important thing to do!)
So the other night we ended up watching a weight loss transformation program.  Similar to the "Biggest Looser" but just based on one individual.  It was inspiring watching him struggle with his motivation and then push through.  We saw him loose weight at the beginning and then go back to lazy eating habits and sluggish work outs.  In the end however he turned it up a notch got his head in the game and made his goal one day at a time.  One decision at a time.

Then it struck me!  That approach will work the same with any goal that seems overwhelming and out of reach.  Bite size pieces!  My new goals are not to complete it all by the end of the summer, but to accomplish something at the daily level in attainable chunks.  For instance... I will spend 30 min every day organizing something in the kids rooms.  I will take the timer and just see what I can get accomplished.  I don't need to wait till I have a whole day to tackle something anymore.  Little by little the goal will be reached if I can just maintain the same mindset used in weight loss of staying consistent and motivated breaking everything down to smaller goals.

So I better get off the computer and get to work!  Let me know how you plan on applying these principals. Good luck to you and I will check back later in a few weeks and let you know how it is going for me.

Photobucket

No comments: