Saturday, February 11, 2012

Easiest ever Neapolitan pizza sauce and the dough to go with it!!

I love eating healthy, staying on a budget and I love good food. So this recipe fits the bill.  Your average take out pizza would never be considered healthy, but a few tweaks and you have yourself a healthy delicious homemade meal.  We always make our own pizza around here, and it's actually pretty fun.  In fact we just made if tonight.   Friday or Saturday night every week we have pizza.  Barbecue chicken pizza, garlic chicken pizza, bruschetta pizza, pineapple and veggie pizza, or whatever we have on hand.  It is cheap, easy and healthy when you do it yourself, add lots of veggies and go easy on the cheese.  Best of all the whole family loves it!

I used to use jarred marinara for pizza sauce and then I came across this recipe several years ago for Neapolitan Pizza Sauce. I wish I could remember what cookbook it came out of but I just took it from a library cookbook that I have long since forgotten the name of.  It was so easy I thought I would try it, and I loved it.
Neapolitan Pizza Sauce 
1 14oz can of plumb tomatoes drained
1 Tbs Olive Oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Basil
Throw it all together and blend.  That's it!

Now I can't give you a great sauce recipe and not throw in the dough recipe as well.   So here it is..
My Favorite Pizza Dough
(2 10"-12" pizzas)
1 tsp yeast
1 C. warm water
1 1/2 C white flour 
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
Photo from fotosearch
Mix the yeast into the cup of warm water to proof.  Mix flour and salt then add yeast and water mixture.  Once it is all mixed together let it rest for about 10 minutes.  Knead 5-10 minutes till the dough is smooth.  Set the dough aside to rise for an hour or until double.  If you have the time you can make it the day before you need it and throw it in the refrigerator to raise until the next day.  The extra time develops the flavor a bit more.  If you are short on time you can heat your oven to 200 degree then turn it off  to warm it.  Once the oven is warm and turned off place the dough in the oven with the door cracked and let the dough rise.  When the yeast is developed you should be able to poke it in with your finger and have it spring back, although it may take a few seconds to do so. I break it into two balls or if I double the recipe I break it into 3 larger balls.  I keep out the one I am using and freeze or refrigerate the whatever is left.
Now just roll it out to whatever size you would like while your pizza stone is heating up in a 500 degree oven.  Now once you roll out your dough (doing it on parchment makes it easier to transfer) move it onto your hot pizza stone and cook just the crust for about 10 minutes still at 500 degrees.  Now take it out add toppings (go easy on the sauce for true neapolitan style pizza) and throw if back in for a measly minute or two since your oven is so hot and your crust is already cooked.  Enjoy!
Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, take or store Pizza's are so bad for you. Now too since we make our own, if I ever have some I'm always like "Ours is so much better tasting, can't believe people pay for this" :) Thanks for the info! Sally

www.apronsandapples@blogspot.com said...

Thanks Sally for the comment ;)Hope you guys have agreat special day to day on valentines day. Take care!