Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pumpkin bread pudding with cider sauce!

I have been promising this recipe since I made it for my husband and my 13 year anniversary at the beginning of the month.  This recipe is a MUST have now that the days are cooler and there are so many more occasions to need quick delicious dessert recipes.  This recipe takes a mere 15 minutes to put together before it bakes for another 45 more minutes.  Most bread puddings are so decadent that you can't afford to eat much.  Fortunately this pumpkin bread pudding has had a lean makeover with out sacrificing flavor.  The cider sauce really adds that extra touch and although it has some sugar it still doesn't deliver the diet death bomb that cream and butter based sauces do.


Pumpkin Bread Pudding
The photo and base pumpkin bread pudding recipe are from one on my new favorite food blogs budget bytes
My photo was too dark to work well. Sorry.
  My husband and  my parents (who tried it a day later) all really loved this dessert.  The other great thing about this recipe aside from the unique fall appeal it has is that it is very very simple and quick to prepare.  I used white french bread as this recipe called for it, but I would like to try a heartier whole grain bread next time to up the nutrient factor but also to prevent it from getting a too soft texture.  The pumpkin bread pudding recipe and the cider sauce were from two different recipes but I thought they would make a great fall pairing.  I LOVED it. 

So here it is.. Pumpkin Bread Pudding
1 large loaf french bread
1/4 cup raisins or other dried fruit like craisins
1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups milk
walnuts or pecans (optional only if you don't like nuts)
Chop your bread up into small cubes and set aside while you mix all the other ingredients together.  Now toss the bread in the pumpkin mixture you just made and that is it!  You can sprinkle on some walnuts like I did or add some pecans.  I think the nuts are really great in it! Now just bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  While that is baking make up your cider sauce.
The cider sauce was from a blog called ...get this..Bread Pudding All Day Long.

Cider Sauce
 1 cup fresh apple cider
2 tablespoons raisins
4 teaspoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Fresh lemon juice to taste
Whisk all the above ingredients together in a saucepan until it thickens.  It is DELICIOUS. Store any leftovers in the fridge.  This is a great sauce over ice cream or on an apple pie or crumble...

Happy baking! Let me know what you think once you try it.  Now I wish I had the ingredients I would whip some up right now as writing this is making me hungry!
Photobucket

No comments: