Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Wheat & Sugar Free Lemon Cranberry Chia Seed Scones...SO GOOD!!!


I have been eating wheat, sugar, and dairy free (except plain yogurt) for almost a month now.  I had my 5th baby in January and am really trying hard to get the last pounds off that seem particularly fond of sticking around.  I must say that giving up these foods (even fruit other than grapefruit) has helped.  I have also been hitting the gym 4-5 days a week and loving it.  In the meantime I would love to tell you that I just don't even care about food. but a foodie ALWAYS loves good food healthy or otherwise.

So while eating wheat and completely sugar free (a temporary thing for me till the baby weight drops off)  I still need a baking fix!  I was feeling like a lemon poppy seed muffin but the traditional recipes are laden with sugar, wheat and dairy.  So I settled on the idea of a spelt lemon cranberry chia seed scone with no sugar and made with stevia, coconut oil and  nutrient packed chia seeds.  I merged and tweaked a spelt scone recipe and a healthy lemon poppy seed muffin recipe.  It was delicious the first time around but I knew I could do better. So after church today I whipped up the recipe once more with a few tweaks.  I love it!
 This is what I came up with....

Spelt Lemon Cranberry Chia Seed Scones
(Wheat and Sugar Free)

4 Cups spelt flour
2 Tbsp Chia seeds
2-3 Tbsp of stevia mixed with fiber I use "Stevia plus"
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil warmed
1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 cup water
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice ( a little more for a stronger flavor)
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup frozen cranberries
Mix all dry ingredients together.  Mix all wet ingredients including the warmed coconut oil so it is in liquid form, and beat in the two eggs.  Now mix the two together.  Then fold in the cranberries.  If they are large chop them up in to smaller parts.   I use organic ones from "Azure Standard" and they are smaller than conventional ones so I don't bother to chop them.  
Pat the dough into two balls then pat them down into two circles as shown above.
Now slice the raw dough into 8 slices as you would a pie.
Then separate out the scones to bake so that they do not touch.
Bake at 350 for 18-23 minutes till slightly golden brown.
Now just try to resist them... no wait don't worry about it... they are good for you!
They were a  hit with my sugar loving, wheat eating friends as well.  YUMMY!

Have a great wheat and sugar free recipe?  Share it with us in the comments below!
Photobucket

No comments: